Working in Schools
I have been working with children and young people in one form or another for 25+ years, and aside from writing, my greatest passion is seeing the next generation discover their abilities and realise their potential.
I would love to visit your school and work alongside you and your students in one of a number of ways:
- author talk
- writing workshop
- one-on-one or small group mentoring
- short or long term writer-in-residence
- extra-curricula writing group
- camp activities
All programs are planned in consultation with the school, and where appropriate will be linked to the subject or themes being explored in the classroom. They can be tailored to engage those who are struggling as well as extend those who show a flair for writing.
A large range of projects are possible depending on the time available, including but not limited to:
- becoming a writer
- writing process from idea to publication
- writing journals
- short stories
- novels and chapter books
- narrative elements
- autobiographical and biographical narrative
- personal essays
- feature articles
- family history as an introduction to history
- oral history and/or interview skills
- historical research and document studies
- Second World War and post-war history
- using autobiography or history in fiction
Please note that my fees are usually based on Australian Society of Authors (ASA) rates.
If you’re interested in having me run a workshop for your group or organisation, please contact me for further information.