In putting together a set of Christmas-themed prompts, I acknowledge that not everybody celebrates this festive season, for a range of reasons. While I have attempted to acknowledge this in some prompts, please feel free to adapt them further, or simply choose the ones that are helpful as you develop the characters in your fictional world.
1. 5 words – night, gift, star, green, photograph.
2. Respond to the following image:
3. A Christmas Carol – write your own version of the ghosts of Christmases past, present and future created by Charles Dickens.
4. Choose an existing fictional character from your work-in-progress. Describe your character’s most difficult/complicated Christmas or other so-called festive season.
5. Create a character who loves Christmas (or some other festivity/festival). Write a scene in which you show their love of this without telling us.
6. Create a character who doesn’t like Christmas (or some other festivity/festival) . What is their backstory that explains why this is so?
7. Create a scene in which you character who hates the festivities in the previous prompt meets the character who loves the same festivities.
8. A festive season romance.
9. Write an ode to Christmas or some other time of year that has meaning for you.
10. An unusual gift.